Share technical know-how with other users, or help to promote Ubuntu
Share your development expertise and help shape the future of Ubuntu
- Experts urge national action amid claims Australia is failing people with allergies http://t.co/WZ3oBbcap0 18:27:00, 2014-08-10
- Poor energy supply/demand planning causing high prices. Let’s stop the FUD around carbon/renewables pricing http://t.co/gUzO4czNCN #auspol 16:33:00, 2014-08-10
- Old Chinese coin ‘points to early contact with Aboriginal people’
- Abbott corruption: ’10 people in her class more deserving’
- Science research grants awarded on the basis of patents is patently wrong
- Full documentary — Billionaire Elon Musk: How I Became The Real ‘Iron Man’ http://t.co/sb6lPli0ez 20:32:40, 2014-08-08
- Coles, Woolworths accumulating consumer data as they prepare to compete with banks on home loans http://t.co/IXLnvXHib3 #bigdata 14:19:00, 2014-08-08
- George Brandis in ‘car crash’ interview over controversial data retention regime
- Immigration detention psychiatrist Dr Peter Young says treatment of asylum seekers akin to torture http://t.co/QR4LVkDv87 #auspol 14:19:00, 2014-08-06
- If You’re Designing eLearning for Adults Take Advantage of These 4 Tactics http://t.co/CCKGsJninn http://t.co/XrI1CjpRKK 14:19:06, 2014-08-05
- Budget cuts hit lowest-income earners hardest, says Treasury http://t.co/IJltfSN1hL #auspol 20:32:02, 2014-08-04
- How Google search trends could predict the next stock market crash
- SMH economics editor explains why no one is backing the federal govt budget http://t.co/AHWzQhXhhY #auspol 16:33:07, 2014-08-04
- Staying Relevant as a CIO http://t.co/0FdBo4b40R 14:19:00, 2014-08-04
I upgraded my trusty ThinkPad L520 to a shiny new ThinkPad T440s. Unfortunantly, but not unexpectedly, I tried to follow online tutorials for dual booting and ended up with a lovely black screen every time I tried to boot from the USB Live image I'd created.
To re-iterate, disabled Fast Boot in Windows, and Secure Boot in BIOS/UEFI. I also enabled legacy boot mode, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Got all that? These are the recommended settings for dual booting / installing linux on a UEFI/Secure Boot enabled box.
I went to bed unhappy, but in the morning had the crazy idea to enable Secure Boot, just to see if it would work. It did! So, it looks like new Ubuntu versions are supported in Secure Boot. Good enough for me.
I was then able to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my shiny new T440s... not without other issues though...
Like I did with my ThinkPad L520, I've created a page to document the different issues I've experienced. My intention is to keep it updated with issues and solutions over the life of this laptop - similar to what I did with my L520.
Full troubleshooting page: ThinkPad T440s + Ubuntu